Friday, September 11, 2009

Jobs Found

As soon as Jen and I got back from our second trip to Buenos Aires, we found solid work in Montevideo. We met with the International House London Institute and they gave us a variety of English teaching opportunities. The way this organization works is that they have classes in their institute and classes for private companies who want their employees to learn English. I give classes twice a week in Banco Republica, the main bank in Uruguay. This bank is a giant historic building and looks like a museum on the inside. I also give classes several times a week inside the institute. Jen is teaching in a special business park called Zonamerica which is located about 45 minutes outside of the city by bus. Zonamerica is a tax free zone where many multinational companies operate to take advantage of the well educated, cheap Uruguayan work force. The area where she teaches is connected to an old cathedral and is unbelievably nice. She is also giving classes in the instutute to a group of 11 year olds. Overall the teaching job has been a challenge, because Jen and I have only a little experience teaching, our online training was not that extensive, and the institute doens´t give too specific of a curriculum to follow. We are enjoying the challenge and learning more each day.
As far as our living situation goes, we moved in with one of our Couch surfing friends, Cecilia. She has a centrally located one bedroom apartment, and the space is cramped to say the least. Some uncommon amenities that we enjoy are a clothes dryer and hot showers that last more than five minutes. However, the computer situation is terrible, and I´m going to buy a laptop pretty soon. That´s all I have time to write for now, but Jen and I will be adding more shortly after this two week lag in updates.

No comments:

Post a Comment